2020 Aon Maadi Cup Notices - Sitemap - Date: Sunday 3 April 2016
Venue: Twizel Events Centre, Twizel
- Roll Call
AQUI, ASHB, AVSG, BTHC, CAMB, CBHS, CGHS, CHCO, COLU, CRAI, CROM, DIOC, HAMB, HAMG, JMCG, JPCR, KAVA, KGCA, KHSD, MARN, MLBG, MTAL, NAPB, NAPG, NELB, NCOG, OBHS, OTUM, QHSD, QMAR, ROTL, RRGS, SAMU, SCOT, SHIR, SJHM, SMCO, SPLH, STAN, STBD, STCC, STHI, STKT, STMG, STPC, TTAI, TAKA, TRGB, TRGG, TIMG, TWIZ, WHHS, WKDS, WLCO, WLGC, WNCS, WTLB, WTLG, John O'Connor (Life Member). 119 members entered is a Quorum of 48. 58 present therefore quorum is met.
Also in attendance: Members of Schools Committee - Trudy Keys (NZSSRA President), Janey Wackrow, Scott Wilson, Lauren Farnden. Members of NZSSRA Board - Andrew Carr-Smith, Gus Scott. Other - Sonya Walker (School and University Manager) Tim Wilson (Rowing NZ), Mike Ruiterman (STLN and PUKE) and Greg Reid (SHAK)
STLN, APAR, BARA, BURN, GGHS, JHAR, MTRO, OGHS, PUKE, RONC, STKV, SPTW, STPA, TEAW, TRID, WHAK, Gillian Simpson-Committee Chair/St Margaret's College Principal, Bruce Tong-Wentworth College Prinicpal, Robert Arrell -Napier Boys High School, Lorraine Pound-Principal Epsom Girls Grammar, Fr Earl Crotty SM (Life Member), Brother Terence Costello (Life Member), Garry Carr-Smith (Life Member), Simon Peterson (Rowing NZ CEO)
- In Memoriam
Malcolm Iversen, Jill Macdonald, Mike McLennan - A minute silence was held.
- President's Address
Trudy Keys refers to a written report which was distributed, which highlighted the main concerns of the committee this year, including the over-racing of athletes and that this would be monitored and Principals contacted. The survey results have remained helpful so that the members have a better avenue of feedback.
- Election of President
Trudy Keys standing for re-election. The meeting was passed over to Janey Wackrow. Motion that Trudy Keys be re-appointed President.
Moved: HAMB Seconded: SJHM Carried Unanimously
- Meridian - request to continue to have the naming rights to SISS championships
- Comparison of Boys Vs. Girls - concern that boys get more attention than girls rowing. Suggested that event be Maadi & Levin Cup. HAMB suggested that the event be made the NZ Sec School Championships. The committee responded to the letter in that fashion and that the Maadi cup is the colloquial name of the event which had formed by the rowers initially. All efforts are made to provide gender equality and we will continue to ensure we do this in all areas.
- Letter of support from NZSSSC - around concerns of Lightweight Rowing at a junior level.
- Minutes of Previous AGM
Draft minutes dated 22nd March 2015 were moved to be accepted as a true and correct record.
Moved: HAMB Seconded: SJHM Carried Unanimously
- Finance Report
Finance report was presented. Sonya Walker spoke to this report highlighting the following areas: The listing of $20,000 is due to the $10,000 catch up from a late payment several years ago to KRI when the Committee wanted to wait for their finance report to be released. Within the Budget, the NZSSRA Board approved a $4000 special project - looking at what will benefit school rowing, the Committee welcomes input from members on where they feel this could benefit school rowing.
Moved: CAMB Seconded: WKDS Carried Unanimously
- Report on business carried out by the Schools Committee during the past year. This includes the Four-Yearly Review of the Membership Fee.
A written report was provided but key areas included:
- Scott Wilson will not be standing again and the committee would like to formally thank him for his contribution and commitment.
- Stressed the race per pupil limits, most are now following 3 max, some are still going against the advice. Schools will be contacted accordingly with regard to these recommendations.
- Reform Bill - the H&S area with regards to any Volunteer role hasn't changed, those who employ coaches will face changes.
- Review of membership fee, committee discussed and the level should remain the same but have changes to the penalties and discount, this was based on Rowing NZ taking on the administration role and due to the difficulty of the schools being closed over the penalty periods.
Motion that the Membership fee remains at $160, but if paid by 1st December it is $120 and no penalties will be imposed.
Moved: SJHM Seconded: WNCS Carried Unanimously
- Election of Officers
- Elected Members of Schools Committee.
The position is for a two year term. We have one nominee.
- Lindy Graham (Principal of Craighead Diocesan School) was the sole candidate and was voted onto the Schools Committee by acclamation.
- Ratification of appointment to the Schools Committee
Janey Wackrow has been appointed to the Schools Committee by the NZSSRA Board. The appointment was ratified by Members.
Moved: CHCO Seconded: HAMB Carried Unanimously.
- Championship Regattas
- 2017 Fee Change Proposal for Championships regattas (fees ex-GST)
- 2017 North Island Secondary School Championships Changes: No fee proposal received
- 2017 South Island Secondary School Championships Changes: No proposal received at time of agenda, but would be presenting an amenity fee increase however nothing was received prior to the meeting nor was a South Island Rowing representative present to speak to this therefore no change is applied.
- 2017 New Zealand Secondary School Championships Changes: Letter attached from KRI
Sonya gave background on the tent fee issue. The tent fees at KRI had been incorrectly charged after the motion at the 2010 AGM was not adhered to. The Committee had approached KRI numerous times regarding these fees and they have agreed to refund of 2015 tent fees to schools. The members confirmed that no such refund had been made yet and there was great disappointment that this had not yet happened. Schools therefore discussed whether they should vote for the changes proposed by KRI here and asked what would the consequences be. It was decided that the level of service at the regattas could be less if the fees were not voted for, but schools were expecting the refund. The members asked if the committee could send another letter to KRI and a template sent to schools so they could also contact KRI regarding this matter.
Motion that the proposed changes from KRI to the Maadi 2017 fees be accepted.
Moved: WANC Seconded: SJHM 3 against - Carried
A table of the fees for 2017is provided below (excl GST).
|Fees ||Maadi ||NISSC ||SISSC|
|Singles ||$26 ||$14 ||$15|
|Doubles/Pairs ||$37 ||$20 ||$20|
|Fours/Quads ||$49 ||$25 ||$30|
|Eights/Octuples ||$65 ||$32 ||$40|
|Amenity ||$24 ||$19 ||$16|
|Other Fees ||Maadi ||NISSC ||SISSC|
|Entry Protest ||$20 ||$20 ||$20|
|Non-Notified Crew Change||$50 ||$50 ||N/A|
|Late Scratching ||$40 ||$40 ||$40|
|Non progression ||$100 ||$40 ||$40|
|Race Protest ||$20 ||$20 ||$20|
|Appeal ||$20 ||$20 ||$20|
|Tent Fee (front) ||$200 ||$160 ||N/A|
|Tent Fee (rear) ||$160 ||$130 ||N/A|
|Tent Power ||$130 ||$120 ||N/A|
- Applications to host Championships regattas (attached to the agenda) from:
It was explained that the dates for the 2018 regattas can not yet be confirmed because the Ministry of Education has not yet released the 2018 term dates after the new Education Bill was held up in Parliament. Therefore the host locations can be accepted but the dates will need to be approved at the 2017 AGM. Sonya will release the tentative dates as soon as the Ministry has released them.
- From Karapiro Rowing to host the 2018 North Island Secondary School Championships.
- From Ruataniwha Rowing to host the 2018 South Island Secondary School Championships.
- From Ruataniwha Rowing to host the 2018 New Zealand Secondary School Championships.
CAMB queried the NISS regatta dates, as it was listed as only being over two days.
KRI had confirmed after the agenda went out that it should have been for 3 days and they are applying for that (again dates to be confirmed).
Motion to accept the host locations as listed with dates to be set at the 2017 AGM.
Moved: SJHM Seconded: WESB Carried Unanimously
From the NZSSRA Board and Schools Committee
- Remit 1: The term of membership of the Schools Committee for each member shall be three years from the date that member is appointed. All School Committee members are at the end of their term eligible for re-election or re-appointment, but no member may serve more than three consecutive terms.
Explanation: In order to align with Rowing NZ terms so it negates the potential problem of the Rowing NZ Board having to appoint someone who is not the Schools Chair
Moved: SJHM Seconded: STBD Carried Unanimously
- Other Matter/Business from the Floor
MLBG asked if there has been any formal research into that over racing is detrimental. Sonya Walker confirmed that the committee had input from the HPSNZ physiologists and Elite coaches and they all agreed that they shouldn't be entered in any more than the recommendation. Have yet to talk to those coaches, will discuss with principals. HAMB requested whether there was any documentation. Andrew Carr-Smith suggested looking at a FISA documentation Mike Stanley has which looked at the effects on performance.
- Date of next AGM
27th March 2017