2022 Aon Maadi Cup NoticesNewsletter - Sitemap -
Welcome to the New Zealand Secondary Schools Rowing Association website. This site is here to provide schools and school rowers with an easily accessed resource of information about schools rowing in New Zealand.
New Season begins 2022-23 Season
The 2022-23 Season is now underway. It runs from 1 September 2022 until the end of Maadi 2023 on 2 April 2023.
Annual General Meeting March 27,
The Annual General Meeting of the New Zealand Secondary Schools Rowing Association was scheduled to be held at Ruataniwha on Sunday 27 March 2022. Due to COVID-19 restrictions it will take place online; rather than in person. The Agenda will be published when available.
COVID-19 recovery return to rowing guidance
RNZ has been receiving questions around what does return to rowing look like for rowers who have had covid. While there is some research done overseas, at this stage within New Zealand there is very little. RNZ has worked with three medical practitioners to develop guidance for return to rowing (.pdf). This is particularly relevant to students and Maadi. In summary:
- COVID-19 is known to affect the heart, lungs, and brains. There is a very real risk if you exercise too early you could experience longer term COVID-19 and other health issues.
- It is critical to return your rowers to training using a safe and graduated approach. The guidance is to only return to exercise after at least seven days free of symptoms followed by a minimum of two weeks with minimal exertion.
What this mean, in relation to Maadi, is:
- COVID-19 positive or symptomatic during Maadi: if a student presents any symptoms or tests positive during the regatta they should be withdrawn from Maadi immediately.
- COVID-19 positive 13 - 27 March: if a student tested/tests positive in the fortnight leading up to Maadi then, irrespective of the severity of the symptoms, they should not be competing at Maadi.
- COVID-19 positive 28 February - 13 March: the school should seek a medical clearance from a Doctor, providing a clear statement that the young person is fit and healthy to undertake strenuous exercise, such as multiple races at Maadi between the 28th of March and 2nd of April.
Note: any student still presenting symptoms into the week prior to Maadi (21 - 27 March inclusive): should not be allowed to compete at Maadi.
- COVID-19 positive before the end of February: any student who is still presenting any mild or moderate symptoms associated with COVID-19 should see their own Doctor before undertaking any rowing or other physical activity.
If the school is aware the student has ongoing symptoms they should require a medical certificate before allowing the student back into training or racing.
If you have any questions contact Mark on either 021 132 4519 or [email protected]
2022 Championships Regattas NISSC, SISSC, Maadi
New Schools 2022-2023 season
If you know of any other schools wanting to join NZSSRA this season please point them to our website or the Schools Committee.